State of Mind

By Chandler - 1/07/2014


It's easy to think that life is unfair, that we don't get what we want, that sometimes the whole world is against us.  But if you actually step back for a minute and look at the situation through clear eyes, you'll usually see that you're making it out to be unfair.

I started a post yesterday (that clearly didn't get published) about how everything was going wrong with my morning.  And that it would just be in everyone's best interest if I simply crawled back into bed and hit the reset button.  But life doesn't come with a reset button, and the good times come with bad times to match them.

But I didn't end up publishing that post, or even finish writing it.  Because I realized that even though my morning was rough, it was out of my control.  Sure, I spilled my coffee down the front of me while getting in the car.  And then there was so much fog, I couldn't even see 100 yards in front of me.  And then, to make matters worse it become pitch black outside (could have been midnight) and it started to pour.  But instead of feeling miserable for myself, I was reminded to breathe.  And when I stopped for a minute and "reset" my thoughts, I realized that things could be worse and that I simply cannot control the weather.  The coffee is another story.

So I changed my attitude real quick and put myself into a positive mood by singing very loudly to my radio (and the stranger at a red light).  And when all was said and done at the end of the day, I realized that I had accomplished quite a bit on the "miserable, no good day."

Looking back, I realize just how important it is to have a positive state of mind.  If I had let my morning get to me, I may not have enjoyed the snow flurries when they started to fall.  I may have spent my day moody and despondent.  But instead, I savored the little things and realized how lucky I am.


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

4 thoughts

  1. Replies
    1. Oh I had a bunch... I was in the car for an hour, so singing was a necessity. But some of my favorites from yesterday :: Stay by Florida Georgia Line, She Moves in Her Own Way by The Kooks, I'm Yours by Ron Pope, and Brave by Sara Bareilles :) Thanks for asking!!

      Delete
  2. it's a hard thing to do, but it's definitely possible to change your outlook! my problem is not realizing i can snap out of my bad mood just as quickly as i entered it. i have so much to be thankful for, what do i dwell on the small negatives? good words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually have such a terrible time getting myself out of a bad mood. But I’m trying and that is something. And yesterday, it worked. I was so pleased with myself for avoiding a bad mood, that it probably added to my good mood ((brownie points for me?))
      And thanks so much :)

      Delete