Fearless

By Chandler - 2/15/2014

fearless (adj.) - free from free; brave

I wish I was sitting here drinking a cup of coffee as I write this, but I'm not.  And that's a story for another day.  But I am feeling the need to explain what fearless means to me.  Fearless is one of those words or concepts that everyone views differently.

via
According to Merriam-Webster, fearless means free from fear; not afraid; very brave. I don't necessarily agree or disagree with this definition.  I think that being fearless can mean that you are brave. But I think that it is more than not being afraid.

"To me, Fearless is not the absence of fear. It's not being completely unafraid. To me, Fearless is having fears. Fearless is having doubts. Lots of them. To me, Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you to death." -- Taylor Swift

We all know I love Taylor Swift and to me, she perfectly describes what fearless is.  Fearless is knowing your fears and doubts and the odds against you--but living your life in spite of these things.

I was thinking about my own life when contemplating what to write.  Would being fearless mean that I am an open book? Does it mean that I need to lay all my cards on the table? A million questions such as these raced through my head.  And then I thought, stop.  I paused for a minute and took a breath.  Being fearless can mean whatever I want it to.  That is all part of being fearless.  I can define it however I want to; I can tell what I want and keep other things to myself.  Being fearless isn't about exposing all your secrets to the world, it's about being honest and true to yourself.

via
We've all heard the Japanese Proverb, "fall down seven times, stand up eight."  When you are fearless, you keep getting up.  It doesn't matter how many times life pushes you down and tells you no.  It doesn't matter the situation or even if you don't think you can.  Fearless is taking the word "can't" out of your vocabulary.  And I may not be there yet, but I'm working on it.

"Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow" -- Mary Anne Radmacher

When your fears control your life, you are not truly living. Being fearless means that you control your life. Being fearless means having courage.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts