Humans of New York {and Thailand}

By Chandler - 6/04/2014

**I am in no way connected to Humans of New York nor do I know Brandon, but if you do and want to introduce me, that'd be great.  Everything written below is done solely by free-will (aka because I can).**

Okay so I'm sure that many of you have heard of "Humans of New York" but if not, click that link and/or read this:

My name is Brandon and I began Humans of New York in the summer of 2010.  I thought it would be really cool to create an exhaustive catalogue of New York City's inhabitants, so I set out to photograph 10,000 New Yorkers and plot their photos on a map.  I worked for several months with this goal in mind, but somewhere along the way, HONY began to take on a much different character.  I started collecting quotes and short stories from the people I met, and began including these snippets alongside the photographs.  Taken together, these portraits and captions became the subject of a vibrant blog.  With nearly four million followers on social media, HONY now provides a worldwide audience with daily glimpses into the lives of strangers in New York City.  It has also become a #1 NYT bestselling book... It's been quite a ride so far. Feel free to follow along.
Now, I'm a little late to all things social media.  So I didn't find out about HONY until about 6 months ago.  But I became obsessed.  I follow on Facebook and my newsfeed is so much more to me now.  I love to read these few sentences about peoples' lives and try to imagine what I would say.

Remember all those times I wrote about Thailand (I promise this will all come back around and tie up nicely) and how I was gonna travel there.  Or my ramblings about the Peace Corps or teaching some where abroad.  I know that I could go on for days and days about my desire to travel and my desire to make a difference in some far away place.
But guess what?? I'm not the only one!  My good old buddy Brandon (sadly, I don't actually know him in real life), found a New Yorker who has already lived my dream. And shocker (except that's sarcasm) he loved it! So BAM!

via
I will travel to Thailand one day and I will teach beautiful young children who appreciate me and understand the value of teachers. End rant.

Have a lovely Wednesday -- I'm in the car hopefully three-fourths of the way to North Carolina by the time you are reading this.

On a side note, please send me some good vibes tomorrow during my interview because I'm über nervous! **Bonus points to anyone who tells me an interview story of their own experiences :)

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts