Those Important People

By Chandler - 9/29/2014

I was talking to someone the other day about "go to people." It was a good conversation, one that was meant to evoke thought. And that's precisely what it did. Go to people are the ones you can go to for anything and everything.  They are the people who will always answer and will always be there for you. And it was during this conversation that I realized how important having go to people is.

I am very fortunate in that I have a close family; my family is willing to drop everything to help someone else. I was raised with a deep sense of community. I was taught good morals and values. I was taught to value myself and to value others. And I am by no means perfect, and there are times when all I want to think about is myself. But I also believe that I am pretty good at being there for other people--sometimes more than they may want...

But for me, my go to people are more than my family. They are my friends.

The people who will drive 14 hours in your two-door car just to go to a Phillies vs. Yankees game in Florida.
The people who gather together to celebrate 85 years of someone's life.
The people who choose to be seen in public with you when you haven't washed your hair in two days.
The people who check your closet before bed for kidnappers and monsters.
The people who will run a race at 8am with you, just to raise money for your hometown.
The people who laugh with you, cry with you, sing with you, fight with you, and hug with you.
The people who have so many inside jokes with you.

And in a way these "go to people" are our families. We create our lives and memories together. We celebrate life and we cry through loss. We have new beginnings and sometimes we see the end of things.  My "go to people" are what get me through the day to day. They are the people who I call home--because for me, home is not a place. It is a group of very important people.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 thoughts

  1. i love this. we all need our go-to people. that picture of your friend with half of her body in your attic crawl space is EXCELLENT. hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete