Dreaming.

By Chandler - 2/23/2015

Dreaming of tomorrows is a great pastime; I could do it for hours on end. I’m a dreamer and that’s for sure. But at some point you have to realize that those dreams are your heart trying to steer you in the right direction. You have to wake up and follow those dreams.

Lately, I have been trying to figure out my dreams. I’m trying to decode the clouded thoughts in this head of mine. And while I love to solve puzzles, this is one that I seem pretty stuck on. I can’t figure out how to move those clouds. But maybe that’s the way it’s supposed to be right now—not crystal clear, a little hazy.

The unknown is not a comfortable thing for me. It’s not really a comfortable thing for anyone. But sometimes we need to be pushed from our comfort zones in order to grow.
Now not to get too psychological about it but Vygotsky introduced the world to the idea of the zone of proximal development a long time ago. And while it mostly has to do with education, it applies here as well. In order for learning to be the most beneficial, you need to be pushed outside of your comfort zone, but not so far that you are frustrated.

Positive psychologists, Robert Biswas-Diener and Todd B.Kashdan pointed out, “Truly happy people seem to have an intuitive grasp of the fact that sustained happiness is not just about doing things that you like. It also requires growth and adventuring beyond the boundaries of your comfort zone.” This is similar to the zone of proximal development for learning.

Who knew that all those child development and psychology classes would help me make a point in a blog post.

Comfort zones are great. But occasionally, you need to push yourself out of the comfortable places. The only way to experience something new is to try something new. And while that sounds really simple—and it truly is simple, many people (myself included) have a really hard time with it.

So right now I might not be comfortable with the lack of direction from my dreams but I am learning to deal with it and grow on my own. I am learning that sometimes I have to follow my heart and not just my head. I am learning that sometimes the best experiences come from things that are not planned out ahead of time.


On a less philosophical note, sometimes dreaming is just a way for you to pretend it isn't freezing outside and that you are on a beach someplace warm. Dream and wishing for warmer weather right now!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts