It's about self-acceptance

By Chandler - 4/26/2016

Yoga is not about self-improvement, it's about self-acceptance.

Lately I've become super into yoga, specifically hot yoga. But I obviously can't do hot yoga at my house unless I wanna pay a ridiculous heat bill, I don't. Pretty soon though in might just get hot enough here in North Carolina to do hot yoga outside 😂
Now I could have been a normal person and wrote an article entitled: "10 Things that Happen When You Get into Yoga." But I've read 16 articles like that in the last month and I felt like some of those things didn't apply to me. At first I was like oh maybe I'm doing it wrong... maybe I don't get yoga like you are supposed to. But now, I've realized that it's just a matter of opinion. So here I am sharing 5 things that happened when I got addicted to hot yoga.

Yes I am aware this is terrible posture for wheel pose, but I had 10 seconds to run across the room and get into it...
1. Obsession. I'll be the first to admit that I have become addicted. The practice of yoga has been said to be addictive and if you asked me three months ago, I'd have scoffed at you. But now, I'm super addicted and feel the constant need to go. And when I can't go, I practice in my living room.
I tell anyone who will listen about yoga class. Mostly my poor little first graders because they have no choice but to listen to me ramble. However, my rambling has led them to an understanding of the practice of yoga. And yes, we do practice everyday in class -- they love it! It's incredible how flexible children are... I'm certainly jealous of some of their natural abilities.

2. Sleep. Now I love me some sleep. That's no surprise to anyone. I am a professional napper after all. But, I struggle with insomnia from time to time. And insomnia mixed with anxiety is not a fun combination, although it is a pretty common one. However, I sleep hard after a good yoga day. I recommend it to anyone. If you need some nighttime yoga ideas, let me know!

3. Challenge. I continue to push myself further into my yoga practice. Sometimes it is just simply trying a new pose, sometimes it means holding a pose for a little longer than I could previously. I'm working my way up to inversions because why not? Cross your fingers that I don't break my neck!

4. Mindfulness. Mindfulness is one of the first things many people associate with yoga and meditation. But for me, it didn't come easy. I judge myself in all the unhealthy ways and find fault with everything I do. So instead, I have learned to pay attention to my thoughts and feelings without judging them. This is not an easy practice for me. But I am learning every day that I need to be more accepting of myself in the present, letting go of the past and the future.

5. Self-Acceptance. Going along with mindfulness, I have learned am learning self-acceptance. I am learning to love myself and trust myself. I am learning the amazing things that my body can do. Only through self-acceptance can I truly learn to be at peace with myself.

When you find peace within yourself, you become the kind of person who can live at peace with others.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts