Why I Traded Facebook Statuses for Blog Posts

By Chandler - 9/18/2014

I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook. I tend to lean more on the side of dislike when it comes to this forms of social media. I am big on Instagram and clearly my blog, but Facebook doesn't do it for me. I actually deleted my Facebook and only at the request of family did I reactivate my Facebook. They wanted a quick, easy way to check up on me. Well, there's a problem with that. I tend to not update my Facebook. I use my Facebook for one thing: to check up on other people. I like to know what people are up to and how they are. Facebook is quick and easy.

But Facebook doesn't give you a full picture. Facebook gives you the image that people want to present. I want to appear happy when I had a really crappy day, well I'll post the one good picture from the event and say what an awesome time I had. I want to appear really sad and get attention from people, I'll post a depressing status and hope that someone might see it. These thoughts are crazy. Literally. But that is how people think on Facebook. So Facebook really doesn't allow people to see how you are doing, it allows people to see how you want to appear.

We all know that I can be wordy, sometimes to the point where I lose you and you come back together with me at the end. And I know that and I'm okay with it. So there's that too. I'm not the type of person who wants to type a three paragraph long status and post it on Facebook. Because I know that I'm not the type of person who is about to read a three paragraph long status that someone else posted.

So I traded Facebook status for blog posts. I've been writing (on different blogs) for about six years now. And it took me until a few months ago to actually share these posts and this blog with family and friends. There are still people who don't know, because I'm not the broadcasting type. But people who want to check up on me, they know my blog address. They read and they comment--maybe not in the comments section but in phone calls, emails, and text messages.

I have not come to the point of deactivating my Facebook profile again. I like to have it as a method of quick communication. I like to see my aunt post pictures and updates of my cousins. I like to read about my best friends' weekends and see pictures of the things they are doing.
But I also love phone calls, snail mail, text messages, and emails. I love to communicate with people. I love to write and read and comment. I love to start conversations and actually have them. I don't want to be a profile on some social media website, because I am so much more than that. And I have a lot more to say than I think should be on Facebook.

I can't say that I'll be posting more regularly because that'd be a lie to my readers and to myself. I post when I have something to say. Not when I have a scheduled time or a prompt that needs to be completed by a deadline. I've got enough deadlines and dates to remember for work and life, I don't want to set them for my blog too.

So I'll be back with more this week because my little head is full of noise right now that demands to be written about.

Have a good day!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts